Subject: Re: [Leica] Questions on M3
From: Xavier Logean <xavier.logean@epfl.ch>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:15:29 +0100

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> Xavier,
>
> My M3 is in the high 900000s and works just fine at all shutter speeds.
> The ones with the serial numbers over 1000000 are collectors' items and
> tend to be considerably more expensive. I would recommend looking for
> one in the 900000 range. Just curious--what made you choose an M3
> instead of an M6HM?

Hi Nathan, thanks for your answer

The reasons for an M3 are the following

- - I already have a M6 and in some way I have problem to justify to have
two "same" cameras.
- - I like the look of the M3 ("more metal, more mechanical")
and all the magic behind having a ~40 years old camera that works
perfectly
with optics of the 90's
- - There is a diffference of ~$1000 between a M6HM and a M3
- - A lot of leica users thinks that the M3 is the best (or one of the best)
leica M ever made,
I am curious to see if it is true

But at the end the reasons are subjective because I could
make the same pictures with my M6. When you decide
to buy something, you have to find good reasons to invest.
When it is a passion, it is easier :-)

I forget in my last message, I read that the late M3s have an aid in
the finder to check for the depth of field.
Is that usefull, I never read a discussion about that on the list.

Thanks to Paul, Marc and Emmanuel for their information

Xavier.

Xavier.

> Nathan
>
> Xavier Logean wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I am envisaging the purchase of an M3.
> > (some of you might remember that a few weeks ago a posted a message
> > because I was hesitating between a M3 and a rapidwinder for my M6)
> > Finally I made my mind for the M3 but I still have a few questions:
> >
> > - A friend of mine told me to avoid the M3 below 1000000 because the
> > 1/1000s
> > is not accurate, is that true ?
> >
> > - Are the first model with no mathematical progession shutter speed
> > still
> > a good bargain ?
> >
> > thanks in advance,
> >
> > XAvier
>
> --
> Nathan Wajsman
> Overijse, Belgium
>
> General photo site: http://belgiangator.tripod.com/
> Belgium photo site: http://members.xoom.com/wajsman/
> Motorcycle site: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1704/

Logean Xavier                            e-mail: xavier.logean@epfl.ch
Swiss Federal Institute                  Phone : ++41 21 693 52 57
of Technology Lausanne  (EPFL)           Fax   : ++41 21 693 66 10
Computer Science Department (DI)         url   : http://icawww.epfl.ch
Institute for computer Communications and Applications (ICA)
CH-1015 Lausanne