Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: SLR Revolution
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 12:15:59 -0500

At 08:50 AM 11/17/1999 -0700, Roger Beamon wrote:

>Godfrey's wording is quite precise. The revolution
>didn't *happen* until the Nikon F, which, as you say, fit the needs
>and acceptable price point of photographers of that era.

I disagree, Roger, and suggest you read Dechert and Keppler's comments on
working pros with Contax S's in the early 1950's.  Remember that this was
an era in which the editors directed the camera gear they would allow to be
used, and 35mm was only marginally acceptable, and then only Leica and
Contax were really widely accepted, though Nikon began to break through
with Capa.

The "Revolution" began in '49.  It just took a decade to have its effects
shown.  This happened, especially, when Zeiss Ikon killed the Contax and
Nikon its RF line, as that indicated to all and sundry that a major shift
was occurring.  The Contarex and Nikon F resulted and, for the purposes of
almost all professionals, the F was much more closely suited to their needs
than was the expensive, and clunky, Contarex.  Hence, there was a sudden
shift from RF to Nikon F.

But the REAL "Revolution" was still in '49, when Nerwin's Contax S was
introduced, and the young and innovative photographers began to snap up
these SLR's.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!