Subject: Re: [Leica]Back on TOPIC: pukka (Or off topic?)
From: "Sander van Hulsenbeek" <vanhulsenbeek@wxs.nl>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 23:08:53 +0100

- ----------------------
Marshall wrote:

AAh...but to this Ohioan, "pukka" evokes an image of Col. Blimp, the "pukka
sahib," sitting on the verandah in his rattan chair, reading Wodehouse and
drinking a Pimm's cup....which evokes an image from a 1950's Leica ad, which
showed two stomachs adorned with M3s where the fat one in a suit was
congratulating the slim one in a college sweater on getting his first Leica.
- -------------------

Ah wonderful! I thought 'pukka' denoted those sahibs that usually don't
drive
their cars into nullahs (ditches) but stay on the road.

Love these words from times colonial. Lots of them in Dutch, dating from our
colonial past in Indonesia.

In fact, nowadays 'street-dutch' in Amsterdam usesTurksh and Surinam words,
that will
sure in the future become part of my beloved mother tongue: Dutch.

A language that donated words to Russian (Galstuk=halsdoek=necktie) and
vice-versa (pierewaaien =
pyrowatj=to party).

Don't mention those Dutch words that have become part of the
English language, mainly nautical terms like poop, focsle and mizzen-mast.

May this trend to absorb words in other languages continue, to eternal
wonder and amusement!

And to me, Leica sure is Pukka!

Sander van Hulsenbeek
Amsterdam