Subject: [Leica] dealer turnoffs
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 23:00:19 -0700

Marc,

I've seen a number of crowded photo/electronics stores in San Francisco
and Singapore which proudly displayed a Leica M or R, but it seemed to
be strictly ornamental: Better look for a real Leica dealer: They
generally don't sell Walkmen.

I hate playing "status games", but I have at times stooped to letting it
be known that yes, I own a Leica or Hasselblad, in order to get proper
help pronto. Gauche? Yeah, but it works. I assume you have none of those
things to fall back on yet, so I'd suggest that you find the store's
"Leica person" and start talking Leica first before asking to handle any
gear. I think if it's fairly clear that you have been doing research
into the M system (download the M6 brochure and learn the basics!),
they'll start pulling equipment out of the showcase for you. But if you
walk in off the street asking to see an M6 without qualifying yourself
or looking wealthy, that's tough.

I've been on the other side of the counter in the hifi world, and though
I tried not to be judgemental, I suspected that someone didn't have the
cash when they'd look at a $2000 stereo component and loudly proclaim
"Two thousand bucks? That doesn't seem so bad-who's Linn Sondek?". No,
the serious ones may not always have known the names, but they had
clearly done some homework and asked intelligent questions. The only
ones who were ever cavalier about prices tended to run into "money
problems". The very wealthy clientele were actually rather careful about
it-guess that's how they got rich.
- --
Jeff Segawa
Boulder, Colorado