Subject: [Leica] M6 fill-flash 1/125+
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 12:31:22 EST

Just to let fellow LUGers in on the results of something I've discovered.
I've found that when using the M6 and a flash for daylight fill-in on a
subject that occupies the central area of the frame, it is entirely possible
to get good results at least up to 1/125 shutter speed, as the flash has no
effect on the distant background so if the flash gets cut off at one end of
the negative it doesn't show.  The ambient light records the background just
fine.  I discovered this by accident; now I am going to run a test film to
see how much of the frame (and which side) is cut off at each shutter speed
above 1/50, which would tell me what the sync speed limit would be with
subjects occupying varying amounts of the frame.  (Of course in low-light
situations where the flash needs to illuminate the whole frame the 1/50 would
still be the limit.)

DT