Subject: Re: [Leica] Vario-Elmar R performances??
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 08:17:28 -0800

Gilles Dewint wrote:

>I'm looking for someones who have or have tried one of the Vario Elmar R.
>What about image quality, is it better idea to buy 2 or 3 non-zoom optics
>instead of 1 Leica zoom?>>>>>

Hi Gilles,

As far as the Vario Elmar R. lenses go, they are first class...the 70-180
stands alone in excellence of quality, as many on the LUG can attest who
use them. For example at 100mm it is as good as the 100 macro. Trust me I
own both and have compared them on several occasions.

The 80-200  f 4.0 is a very under rated lens. a sleeper for quality. It's
also much lighter in weight to the 70-180 2.8 if weight is a consideration.
Excellent quality of image cutting into film wide open.

The kind of photography you do should determine which zoom lens to
purchase, as I have prime and zoom lenses, using both determined by what
I'm shooting.

If you are working with one R body, the zoom is an asset in avoiding loss
of picture possibilities while changing lenses.

But quality aside, the zooms are very fine pieces of equiment which only
you can decide which to purchase in relation to pocket book or picture
taking requirments.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant