Subject: [Leica] Meets & Greets!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 07:13:22 -0800

G'day all,

This morning a post from Byron Rakitzis of a first time warm hand shaking
with Mark Rabiner in Portland, Ore. makes one wonder how we, in the past,
have allowed the LUG to deteriorate into a throat crushing event of sheer
meaningless stupidity, bad feelings, name calling etc.

Due to the most inane nonsense, generally created by "one poster" which in
turn escalates beyond any level of common sense face to face conversation.
It is the "total loss of stable thought", me included, in loosing control
of our fingers on the key board and sane mentality.

But when we have a warm hand shake and engage in many hours talking Leica,
photography and looking at pictures, it is a whole new ball game.

Example.  Byron and Mark meeting in Portland, a wonderful event of common
bond discussion of Leica and things photographic. No name calling or
caustic remarks.  Hell they are right in each others face! A wonderful
experience.

Same weekend. Same scenario, only a few miles north in Vancouver, Canada.

Tom Abrahamsson, his wife Tuulikki, Henning Wulff, Tanya his wife, my wife
Irene and self had a wonderful Saturday and Sunday enjoying the company of
Martin Howard while visiting Vancouver. Our time was spent in Leica
discussion (the women lasted only so long and departed) also of learning
that "Real Photographers do indeed shoot B&W, drink scotch (Lagavullin of
course) and eat sushi! :);) And in this case one might say, in copious
amounts.:)

Did we rant and rag each other, come to verbal blows, challenge with
stupidity what each other said?  Not on your life! So why the hell do we
let it or become involved with it on the screen?  To some degree, human
nature I suppose. But in a period of about two months, one or two
characters very nearly destroyed the LUG, and friendships of some. It
wasn't destroying the LUG of the "good old days" hell it was the LUG of
only a few months past!

If we, including me, as I'm just as guilty as others of loosing brain and
finger control, put flesh and bones on the screen by remembering how warm
face to face greetings can be, we may eliminate the out of control keyboard
Neanderthals.

Think twice before posting to completely inane stuff, dismissing the
obvious "trap crap" or the completely inane person who posts "sucker
baiting." We may just save this wonderful communication medium we have
enjoyed for some years.

Maybe, just maybe, the LUG can return to the good old days of yester year
or a couple of months ago.

As you know:  "United we stand, divided we fall!"

Or in a manner appropriate to the LUG: "Together we learn. Divided we loose!"

have a nice day guys and gals, stay cool!
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant