Subject: Re: [Leica] Epson 1200 vs Photo EX
From: ottmar-x@t-online.de (Keith Bingman)
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 11:16:04 +0100

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> Friends,
>
> I just returned from a visit with a friend in Denmark and saw his Epson
> 1200 and the resulting A3 prints. Gorgeous! I will therefore add an A3
> printer to my current Epson Photo 700 and dedicate the latter to
> experiments with different inks etc.
>
> I have two choices: the new 1200 with whatever improvements it contains,
> or the Photo EX which is older but cheaper and takes the same cartridges
> as the 700. Can someone comment on the differences between the two? TIA.
>
> Nathan

Nathan,

The EX has essentially the same print heads as the 700, but in A3. The 1200
has the new "variable dot size" and a substantially smaller dot. I don't
remember the actual size, but it is some 20-30% smaller and has better
detail and gradation. If I am not mistaken, the 1200 is actually an A3+
printer which is A3 paper with room for crop marks; about an inch bigger.

Don't forget to check out the new 1160, also an A3+ printer, but only four
color. It has one of the smallest dot sizes in the Epson line up and should
have very good photo quality, plus the four color printers seem to have
more stable inks. The light magenta and cyan fade very quickly. It is
listed at about DM 800 here in Germany with some of the big computer mail
order dealers.

Check out the Leben Epson list for more info (www.leben.com/lists) or the
Digital Darkroom site (come.to/digitaldarkroom).

Good luck.

Keith Bingman
Rieheim, Germany