Subject: Re:[Leica] Re: Which Street...
From: "eno!" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 03:41:33 -0500

From: Deborah Dion <dkdion@home.com>

In the ongoing debate of street photography:
It depends where the street is. Small towns in Portugal, San Francisco,
Philly, Lenox Mass etc. provide wonderful sources of good photos. Makes a
diference.
Debby Dion

It makes all the difference - I think the whole thing is futile if
everyone's street is in another country, or town for that matter.
When I think of "street" photography the first thing that comes to mind is
New York City.  Why?  Because what else would I think of!  It's also because
such a city has no restrictions (you can shoot anyone) and certainly has
enough diversity and interesting folk.  But the street in a small town
in...Portugal is entirely different, almost that it can't be called 'street'
photography.  So what is street?  I would say I do street photography.  I
don't take much of people (with obvious substantial exceptions) but I don't
shoot much in the woods or inside.  I don't shoot in a plane, nor
underground.  So, what else is there!  Streets!  I shoot where I am which is
usually around near or on a street.  I'll shoot anything I want on the
street.  The 'decisive moment' in such a case, or maybe the way I like it
defined, is a shot taken with no preparation or forethought.  I see
something I shoot right then. The decisive moment is not someone with their
finger up their nose.  But it's decisive in the sense that I made a decision
to shoot and took the shot in about 1 second, so what else is that supposed
to be.  The street thing and decisive moment thing is exactly when some
person makes a motion to someone else and it looks like an advertisement?
But a "onstage" one?  I think a moment is seeing something reactively and
getting the shot, which is in it's better form a scene that others walk by
without glance.  A public scene (aka pul prize) is not catching decisive
moments.  If one takes boxing photos I'd imagine there are lots of shots,
but the decisiveness lies in the right timing.  The decisiveness should also
be in the ability to extract not in the sense of best shot out of 200 of the
same, but best shot out of the only one which was 'decisive in that 200
people had the same sight available but missed it - the super-shooter-nikons
wouldn't have such a great time then....  This could be...anything; on the
street.  I'm not a pj but I think the good pj's are shooting around the
scene better than the center of it.