Subject: RE: [Leica] DR not as good? Harumph again
From: "Stewart, Alistair" <AStewart@gigaweb.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 00:36:13 -0500

Well here we go again Mike.

Just like before, where are the facts? A juorno with a vested interest in
maintaining good relationships with his source recounted a conversation that
served the interests of the source. That old rumour has also just recently
been around this group for the nth time.  Without some facts (factory
records, maybe Steve Gandy can get them) it can't be more than a rumour.

I cast, however, no aspersions on anyone, I'm just saying that without
verifiable facts, we just don't know.

As for prices, I don't know where you look. I'm sure you'll be able to tell
us where we can find  DR's in fine condition but w/o goggles for <$300. I'd
suggest that the most frequently encountered pricing system used by
experienced dealers/market makers for the two versions in the same condition
is

DR w/o goggles = same price as contemporaneous Rigid

DR w/goggles = higher.

But then then also see my humble-pie-consuming reply to Marc, where he and I
had opposing experiences. A statistically meaningless collection of some of
today's prices that I got real quick showed a different reality to the views
we espoused.

Alistair