Subject: Worrying about the wrong things, was RE: [Leica] NYC with Leica m 6?
From: "Stewart, Alistair" <AStewart@gigaweb.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 01:24:44 -0500

Jerry,

This is one where the spectrum runs from "cover-everything-in-black-tape-and
hide-it-all-in-soiled-diaper-bags" to "a modicum of city savvy and common
sense will suffice"

Why worry about the equipment? Get good insurance for it. The truly
important stuff (after your body) is those canisters of exposed light
sensitive emulsion. Those go right in a real safe place as soon as extracted
from the lite-tite box.

Anyone remember the film-retrieval story recounted in "4 Little Girls"?
Bull was the nickname of the compassion-challenged official responsible in
part for public safety in Birmingham, Alabama, in 1963. There was a
particularly violent public assault on a marching individual, at which his
police largely stood by and observed, and a photographer was also present.
The police took the guy's camera and smashed the lens. When the assault
culprits conveniently couldn't be identified by the police, even though
newsfilm allowed at least one of them to be identified by an acquaintance,
the story gets interesting. The camera had been retrieved from the trash can
into which it had been discarded, and the intact film was developed. On it,
the attackers were clearly identifiable. What smarts the police had when
they smashed the lens. That's right up there with being able to see the
attacker's face on the inside on the murder victim's eyes.

I wonder if that was a Leica M2/3 (counter-intuitive to open, compared to
most comtemporary cameras of the day), and who the photographer was (Leonard
Freed?)

OK, who out there has more info on that story?

best of safe imaging,

Alistair