Subject: [Leica] Spotting: Aaaargh! Can anyone help?
From: "Gareth Jolly" <garethjolly@bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 23:38:23 +1100

I seem to be having the most phenomenal problems spotting of late.

I'm using Spot tone inks; a double 00 brush and am spotting on Agfa Classic
fibre base.

I'm finding great trouble in getting the inks to 'take' to the paper - the
inks are tending to bead around the spot, leaving a dark 'halo' around the
spot.  It is also taking an inordinate amount of time to cover the spot.

I'm trying out:

1.  testing the tone of the ink I have mixed on an absorbent paper (if I
test it on the front surface of Agfa Classic paper it is very difficult to
tell if the tone is correct or too light or dark);

2.  ensuring that, as far as possible, that there is a minimum of ink on the
brush;

3.  trying to mix the inks a little lighter than the area to be spotted.

I've also heard that wetting the area to be spotted helps.   That's next on
the list to try.

I've never had this trouble on other papers.

I've also tried the spotting pens / texta's, without success.

Can any one help out with any tips, before I tear my hair out?

Thanks
Gareth Jolly