Subject: Re: [Leica] Summilux 50 (current M-model) vs previous model?
From: "eno!" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 22:15:50 -0500

- - -----Original Message-----
From: Sander van Hulsenbeek [mailto:vanhulsenbeek@wxs.nl]

Yesterday I was tempted to purchase a Summilux 50mm, the model that focuses
not closer than 1 meter and has the - delectable - detachable sunhood. This
was reported by the dealer to be the previous model, that is opossed to the
currrent, which should optically be identical, but has an inbuilt sunhood.

Is the previous model as good as the current? What experience do LUG-gers
have with the detachable sunhood? Any other commentary? All very much
appreciated and thanks for replying!

Sander van Hulsenbeek
Amsterdam
Holland

Not so sure about the exact optical differences involved, but the sunhood is
just preference - and plays a role depending on what you prefer.  I use
built-in sunhoods, because they are there.  Might as well.  My detachable
sunhoods are,  detached.  I find them to be a hassle, and don't follow the
'necessity' hood thing, however helpful it is.  Not bad if you have a lens.
Two lenses and it's too much.  They get lost, they stick out and look
stupid, I guess it's good if you just detach the thing,
I don't know if this is helpful or not.
ena