Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Johnston leaving and more
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 10:13:52 -0700

Roy Feldman wrote:

> MJ- I really wish you wouldn't leave, as I value your thoughts more often
> than once every 37th frame. Can't you just lurk and pop up a little more
> often than once every year and a half?
>
> Wish I thought of this before- I am used to shooting with 4X5 and MF. As a
> consequence I rely too much on the cross hatch view finder. Since switching
> to the M I get so "sucked" into the screen I often forget to check my
> verticals , when I try to- I miss my 'checker board'. Lately I've been using
> the frame preview lever to find lines that help my equilibrium. Seems
> obvious doesn't it.

Or as this is 35mmland and not the more formal larger formats you could shoot a
lot more diagonals...really drop that shoulder!
Can't decide between a vertical and a horizontal? Shoot both at the same time!
Shoot Diagonals!. Makes for dynamic lines, compositions...fun...creative...different.
I had an editor keep asking for more action in the pictures. (Of people sitting
around with drinks in their hands, in on the scenes column). I started shooting
all diagonals the they leaped off the page like they were skateboarding!!!
Apparently Brooks have some more Avant Garde teachers now because a friend of
mine was taught there to NOT have level horizons. Now what is the world coming too??!!
Mark Rabiner