Subject: Re: [Leica] First Post Attempt
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 19:43:22 -0700

Pilot E-Mail wrote:

> I have been watching this list for a while and I think I found the Right
> group. I found a bunch of Experts. The Problem: I have many rolls of B&W
> film that was out of date then,poorly processed and  exposed, with out
> proper knowledge, with a camera I confiscated from a German officer near
> Castel d`Aino,Romagn Italy,Feb.1945. They were stored, uncut in film cans
> and now they are all curled. How do I restore these negatives so that they
> may be printed and scanned? I want to save this bit of history for the
> remaining surveyors and descendents before I buy the farm. Oh by the way, I
> use two lllf Leicas,one 3.5 Tessar Rolleiflex and a Minox B.
> Thanks for any Help
> Major Waechter
> USAF Retired

A month ago I rolled a bunch of rolls of film that had been stored, uncut in
film cans from the late 40's onto steel reels fairly easily and rewashed them as
they didn't seem to need refixing. I then hung them up to dry with weights and
most of them were then easy to put into plastic pages for contacting and then
printing. Some were not safety film and I asked the list here about that. Some
said "high speed 40" on them and other strange and interesting things. I found
Plus X cassettes made of wood!
Printing them 2 weeks ago was a real thrill. I think there was more silver in
film those days they were my father in laws and the resonance they exuded made
me glad I am a photographer. The process is magic!. The closest you can come
legally or without going to hell!!
Mark Rabiner