Subject: Re:[Leica] First Post Attempt
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 13:03:43 -0700 (PDT)

The problem with old films like that is that the base material might well
be brittle and crack as well as the emulsions. Similar films from my
father's high school days are in my archives of 'stuff'.

I've had some success with such film by gently loading it into developing
tank processing reels and soaking it thoroughly in 70 degree water for
5-10 minutes, adding a PhotoFlo rinse, and hanging it to dry with a weight
on the end. Gently, gently all the way. Usually this end up helping to
flatten it somewhat. Then I cut it and fit it into negative sheets, 5
across, and then leave those to flatten under a heavy book. I've only had
one or two films crack doing this, which meant the loss of one or two
negatives.

Godfrey