Subject: Re: [Leica] FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com wrote:
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 18:48:01 -0700

Jonathan Borden wrote:

> Against 'conventional wisdom' about the benefits of large format w.r.t image
> sharpness is the article
> http://www.photodo.com/templates/display.lasso?show=489
> which, to sumarize, states that with tmax 100 film, 35mm,MF, and LF have
> similar sharpness. I believe the issue is that top 35mm lenses are sharper
> than equivalent large format lenses. On the other hand if Tri-X is used, LF
> wins.
>
> Jonathan Borden
>
> Bill Carson
> wrote:
> >

> > Hi Bob:  Don't kid yourself about large forma!.  I've used 4 X 5 and 5 X 7
><Snip>

To each his own but don't kid yourselves!
Jonathan and Bill if you look at the top of the page is says Nikon.
I assure you that the reason a huge segment of pro photogs and serious amateurs
don't sell their medium format and larger sheet film format gear is that there
is real reasons for using them. There is a visible quality difference between
each format which compleatly justifies it's existence. Plenty of people here are
happy with the V35 Leica enlargers in their darkroom to print all thier 35mm
negs but just as many others KNOW what their twin lens Rolleiflex can give them
and on from there to their Speed Graphic of whatever sheetfilm deal they might
have. Rent a Hasselblad for weekend and find out for yourself. Or borrow a
Rolleiflex. Don't' trust that lens chart on that Nikon thing for a second!!
I would love to sell my Blads and fill out my Leica system/s but I can't live
without them, or my Rolleiflex TLR.
And yes on the other hand plenty of people have just committed to 35 and have
simplified their operations and just have that cute little V35 in their little
darkrooms and I say "good for them".
I love to tap dance on those bigger negs sometimes. Something you can sink your
teeth into!
Mark Rabiner