Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V12 #90
From: "Johnny Deadman" <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 10:59:08 +0100

>  Johnny, my man, it seems that you have discovered 'bokeh'! :o}~
> This 'difference in character' in the Leica lens, if you prefer it, means
> that the Leica bug has infected you! There is no cure- you are a 'goner'!
> Dan ( 'Suffering' from tertiary stages of Late Onset Leicaphrenia!)

Well, I don't know about 'discovered'. I kind of RELY on bokeh for my
picture taking! (For grab shots where focusing is hit and miss you better
have bodacious bokeh, I say).

Interestingly, in terms of bokeh, and all the rest (pleasing coma, flare
etc)... the kind of stuff which to ME is what pictures are all about, like
distortion on a guitar, and the reason I hardly ever shoot at apertures
smaller than 5.6... the Leica, Russar and Canon are streets ahead. The Canon
35/2 comes close, however.

Going through some recent negatives, there is one situation where the Sigma
24/2.8 on the Canon beats everything else hands down, and that is shooting
into the light in the late afternoon. The flare suppression is GREAT, and
you can see exactly what's happening. Shooting any pic with the sun in it on
any of my Leica-fit lenses is at best a gamble, and at worst a waste of
time. And if you're hip shooting on the street in those conditions with the
20mm Russar, a LOT of your pix are going to have the sun in.

- --
Johnny Deadman

"Oh, Lord, grant me the courage to change the things I can change, the
serenity to accept those I cannot, and the wisdom to bury the bodies of
those people I had to kill today because they were starting to piss me off".

St Francis of Assassin