Subject: [Leica] 50s, Screw Mounts
From: "Wilfred von Dauster" <vondauster@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 11:01:02 -0600

Hi All,

Thought I'd add my two bits on the above threads. First, a bit of heresy:
Were I to get a camera to actually use with Leica screw mount lenses, at
least until the Bessa-RF comes out I would get a nice Canon P. I have one of
these I picked up at a show in excellent user condition - a few minor dings
on the top cover but functionally clean and working well - for $150 US. The
finder shows frames for 35mm, 50mm, and 100mm, adjusts for parallax, and has
a bight clear rangefinder patch in the same window. The stainless steel
shutter, if one can be found with minor or no dents, resists the burn-out
cloth shutters can be susceptible to. The advance uses a lever, and the
rewind crank is one of the best designed ever, IMO. X-sync is also around
1/50th, and there are no sync dials to futz with. A truly fine user camera.

Having said this, I also still use the aesthetically more pleasing IIIf and
IIc occasionally if only for sentimental reasons...

As for 50mm lenses verses 35mms, limited to only one lens for 35mm
photography I would always choose a 50mm. The perspective is good, speed and
correction are good, and the slightly less wide angle view enforces a bit of
framing discipline which I, for one, need.

Will von Dauster