Subject: Re: [Leica] G1 vs Leica
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 06:26:37 +0000

KPETERS wrote:
When I first received my G1 I fell in love. I have subsequently handled G2s
and don't feel they are quite as aesthetic as the G1, but do have some nice
features.  The G1 had definate appeal, is intuitive and now that I've shot
about 60 rolls through it, can say it functions very very well.  The auto
focus is great for low light or 'quick' shots and the compensating
viewfinder is easy to use and intuitive.  <snip>
- -----

I am inclined to agree that the G1 has a better feel and look, and
pleasantly light compared to the G2 (to avoid any flames starting, let me
first state that I consider the Contaxes G1 and G2 to be in a different
class compared to Leicas and they are complementary in functions).  In
terms of overall performance, I think the G2 is still superior and that
depends very much on how you want to use the camera.

I found that the 45/2 planar G lens a very very sharp lens .... comparable
if not sharper than the equivalent 50 summicron-M.

Dan K.

     Modernisation is not necessarily in the best interest of mankind.