Subject: [Leica] G1 vs Leica
From: "KPETERS" <KPETERS@huntel.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 09:38:30 -0500

- ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BF1BA8.08E14560

When I first received my G1 I fell in love. I have subsequently handled =
G2s and don't feel they are quite as aesthetic as the G1, but do have =
some nice features.  The G1 had definate appeal, is intuitive and now =
that I've shot about 60 rolls through it, can say it functions very very =
well.  The auto focus is great for low light or 'quick' shots and the =
compensating viewfinder is easy to use and intuitive.  That said, would =
never trade you my Leica for another G1!  The Leica is a scientific =
instrument made by a company that knows (or at least knew) how to make =
top grade scientific instruments.  It is simple and relys on the user =
and there is a great pride in being able to 'guess ' exposures and be =
within 1 stop to friends and their autocameras.  I can't imagine going =
adventuring without my Leica and I still have pride in the fact that =
someone made a product that didn't compromise anything in the making.  I =
remembember years ago being in a philosophy class and someone like =
Plato, or Socrates, or ? had the notion that all "things" have an "ideal =
state" and that things in life have different amounts of this "ideal =
state".  Hence, some may consider a Chippendale Chair closer to the =
"ideal chair state" than the folder from Kmart that you use out back.  =
Same feeling for the Leica.  It is closer to Nirvana than the G1 in my =
opinion.  Both seem to produce comparable photos, its just that one =
relys on the photographer to make the decisions, the other makes some of =
the critical decisions for you (ie. focus  and shutterspeed)....  adding =
my two cents on this one.  Perhaps someone can expostulate on the =
Philosophy.  I was looking at Sue Madsen the whole time !  ha!  KPeters

- ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BF1BA8.08E14560

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>When I first received my G1 I fell in love. I =
have=20
subsequently handled G2s and don't feel they are quite as aesthetic as =
the G1,=20
but do have some nice features.&nbsp; The G1 had definate appeal, is =
intuitive=20
and now that I've shot about 60 rolls through it, can say it functions =
very very=20
well.&nbsp; The auto focus is great for low light or 'quick' shots and =
the=20
compensating viewfinder is easy to use and intuitive.&nbsp; That said, =
would=20
never trade you my Leica for another G1!&nbsp; The Leica is a scientific =

instrument made by a company that knows (or at least knew) how to make =
top grade=20
scientific instruments.&nbsp; It is simple and relys on the user and =
there is a=20
great pride in being able to 'guess ' exposures and be within 1 stop to =
friends=20
and their autocameras.&nbsp; I can't imagine going adventuring without =
my Leica=20
and I still have pride in the fact that someone made a product that =
didn't=20
compromise anything in the making.&nbsp; I remembember years ago being =
in a=20
philosophy class and someone like Plato, or Socrates, or ? had the =
notion that=20
all &quot;things&quot; have an &quot;ideal state&quot; and that things =
in life=20
have different amounts of this &quot;ideal state&quot;.&nbsp; Hence, =
some may=20
consider a Chippendale Chair closer to the &quot;ideal chair state&quot; =
than=20
the folder from Kmart that you use out back.&nbsp; Same feeling for the=20
Leica.&nbsp; It is closer to Nirvana than the G1 in my opinion.&nbsp; =
Both seem=20
to produce comparable photos, its just that one relys on the =
photographer to=20
make the decisions, the other makes some of the critical decisions for =
you (ie.=20
focus&nbsp; and shutterspeed)....&nbsp; adding my two cents on this =
one.&nbsp;=20
Perhaps someone can expostulate on the Philosophy.&nbsp; I was looking =
at Sue=20
Madsen the whole time !&nbsp; ha!&nbsp; =
KPeters</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BF1BA8.08E14560--