Subject: RE: [Leica] chrome cleaning
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 07:39:49 -0000

> My 1-year-old M6 0.85, one of only 4,000 or so made, has
> significant zinc showing at the edges of the baseplate (though
> the vinyl protective strip is still there) and zinc peeking
> through adjacent to the rewind knob. Also some burnishing is
> visible at the hinge where the plastic thumbplate meets the
> rest of the wind lever. No dents yet, but this camera is *kaput*
> as a collector; it is clearly not mint.
>
> That's what happens when a camera is used. But hey, it was
> designed, built, and bought to be used. So it is!
>
> Collectors... harumph.
>
> -Alexey

I agree completely with the "collectors...harumph," sentiment, but I'm a bit
less sanguine about the way the M6 finish vaporizes. My first M6 is just two
years old, and I have a zinc "highway" where the plastic of the film advance
lever rubs against the top plate, as well as zincing where the leather pads
at my strap ends rub the body....What ever finishing process is being used,
it is NOT first quality. The build of the body seems great, but the
finish...harumph!

B. D.