Subject: Re: [Leica] Enlarging lens recommendation
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 22:28:31 -0700

Aaron Ruby wrote:

> I've been using the 50/2.8 APO Rodagon for awhile also. I absolutely agree.
> I've been nothing but ecstatic about the lens. The problem is, the APO Rodagon
> 80/4 is about 600 bucks at B&H--a bit much for my taste at the moment. The 105
> APO Rodagon is a whopping 850 bucks. Considering that I'm just getting started
> with serious MF work--prior to the Fuji I've been using a Holga, which is
> obviously a much weaker link in image quality than any modern enlarger
> lens--and given Mark and Harrison's comments to 'go bigger', I'm thinking a
> Schneider Companon S 100/5.6 might be a good compromise at just under $350.
>
> Best,
>
> Aaron

I like the F4 on thier 80 and since the Holga image is a 50mm square I think you
would have plenty of leeway there too.
I put on an old 105 Schneider and tried it with 35mm last week and it jacked up
my enlarger pretty far up there. Past eye level and I'm 5'10". So if your also
going to use it for 35 I would think  hard on that and veer toward the 80 which
can be used with both medium format and 35mm formats. ..is great with 645.
Mark Rabiner