Subject: [Leica] Lens Hood Use
From: Aaron Ruby <aruby@rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 18:22:19 -0400

I have been using my 35 summilux and pre-asph 35 summicron (latest) with
their respective hoods without fail, even indoors. This may be an
idiotic question, but is using hoods indoors overkill? I understand
that, at least outdoors or in the presence of strong light sources, the
hood increases contrast and mitigates flare. Is that right? How
dependent is image quality on lens hoods in general for these particular
Leica gems. One reason I ask is that the camera seems much less
obtrusive without the hoods. I often find that people's attention are
drawn to quirky-looking 12504 or the 'cute' 12524. What's the good word?

Best,

Aaron