Subject: Re: [Leica] paperless??? Now: OFF TOPIC: analog vs digital
From: "TSL" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:45:48 -0400

>Meanings are never converted into anything in a digital system; they are
>recreated based on the symbols used in the system.  Thus, the word "tree"
is not
>meaning in itself; it is a symbol for meaning.  The actual meaning is up
to the
>reader and writer, not the word.
WRONG.  You must understand that a person can only have an understanding of
the word in context.  The word is used.  Who says to a  child, "this is
called food"  "this is called Mommy"?  It's eat your food and come to mommy
or whatever.  The words have no meaning or substance by themselves  Nobody
has free range to determine any meanings that don't presuppose certainties.

 This is one reason why digital systems make
>loss, error-free communication possible--they don't try to transmit
meaning,
>they only transmit mutually-agreed-upon pointers to meaning.

The meaning is transmitted as it is inseparable.