Subject: Re: [Leica] paperless??? Now: OFF TOPIC: analog vs digital
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 11:43:39 +0200

From: TSL <eno22@enter.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 1999 10:45

> WRONG.

Putting it in uppercase letters does not make it so.

> You must understand that a person can only have an understanding
> of the word in context.

That is irrelevant.  My point was that the word has no intrinsic meaning; it is
only a pointer to meaning.  This is in contrast to analog representations, which
carry their own meaning.

> The meaning is transmitted as it is inseparable.

No meaning is inherent in digitally-represented information.  This is why you
cannot send an EBCDIC data stream to a computer that is expected ASCII and have
it correctly understand the data.  The bits are the same in both cases, but the
meanings they represent are not, and since the meanings are not inherent in the
bit streams, no communication can occur.

  -- Anthony