Subject: [none]
From: Neil Frankish <nfrnkish@dux4.tcd.ie>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:40:45 +0100

_____________________
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 00:09:07 +0200
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Subject: Re: [Leica] TMZP3200

> I find all this talk of the demise of 35mm film thoroughly
> depressing.

Why?  Whether the image is captured digitallly or on film, the result is the
same.

> Don't see how digital can ever truly equal silver, too
> much like using a camcorder for my tastes.

Digital can easily exceed the image quality of any analog process.  That's one
of its advantages.  However, it isn't at that point yet, at least not at any
affordable price.
____________________
Are you referring to digital cameras, rather than negative scanners?

There used to be a very knowledable person on this list (are you still
subscribed?) who worked in the area of CCD research & development. He was
of the opinion that further increases in CCD resolution were not possible
without a quantum leap in technology - current densities are almost at the
theoretical maximum - yet still can't match film resolution by a large
margin.

And this leaves out the whole question of data transfer rates of the much
larger files that might be produced by a CCD-replacemant device.

Also, as a portable information storage device, film is hard to beat.

On the other hand, the pictures taken with the Leica S1 digital camera are
apparently of excellent resolution (by reputation only - I have no
firsthand knowledge) - just that exposure times are of two minutes or more
(the new S1 highspeed now only takes 18 secs, but I don't know if quality
is reduced.

Neil.