Subject: [Leica] Stolen Leica Equipment
From: "Neil Miller" <plus_4@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 20:22:32 PDT

Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 18:08:39 -0300
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Subject: Re: [Leica] was my leica m6 stolen?

Kyle:

The serial number of the camera should be on the sales receipt.  If they
cannot provide a serial number, you may want to exchange it for one that
has one.  Leica service tracks these items and if your camera is indeed
stolen, they will return it to the rightful owner.  I think the serial
numbers are written internally on the bodies during assembly.  Perhaps Bill
Rosauer, or Sherry Krauter can confirm this from their past experience .

  A local camera store had some demo items stolen from an employees car in
the 1980's and when some of these items eventually made it to Leica for
service seven or so years later, Leica Canada returned them to the camera
store from where they were stolen.

Regards,

Robert

At 02:39 PM 7/24/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Howdy all,
>  I just bought a used M6 from a large, long-time-in-business store in the
>U.S.. When a friend asked me the serial number, I was forced to say that I
>hadn't been able to find a serial number on it. He told me to look on the
>hot shoe, and when I did, i found that one of the sides of the hot shoe,
>the one where the serial number was supposed to be, has a decided
>_depression_ or _groove_ in it, very finely milled, but a groove
>nonetheless, did someone file off the serial number? it is also a slightly
>lighter color, as though someone perhaps repainted it, though i would
>think painstakingly. when a level is placed across the hotshoe, one side
>is definately slightly lower than the other, which would fit in with some
>metal being ground away. am i being paranoid? should i call the store i
>bought it from and try and trace down the previous owner?
>  Thanks for your expertise,
>
>  Kyle

Dear Luggers,

What would be the best way to register stolen equipment?

My son had one of my M2's and a 3.4 Super Angulon stolen when he was on a
train traveling thru Bulgaria. I never had much hope of recovering them, but
I guess it is possible that they could turn up in a repair shop. The M2 body
at least has the serial # in a place where it is hard to remove. Also, being
my first Leica, my name was ingraved on the back of the top plate.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Neil A. Miller