Subject: RE: [Leica] Future of film
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 23:03:56 -0400

Steve LeHuray wrote:
> Yes it is true that with the dumbing
> down of our
> culture film will eventually fade away but not in my lifetime.

	Film will exist as long as a market for film exists. The digital dumbing
down of society exists because digital is often more convenient than analog.
This has nothing to do with quality. Analog is often better, and at truly
high resolutions digital becomes analog. Take the compact disc and vinyl
record as an example. We now pay more for lower quality CD (despite the
so-called higher signal-noise ratio), all in the name of higher profit for
the distributer. Society accepts this because CDs are more convenient than
LPs and because most people don't take the time to notice the difference in
quality. Myself included ... on the convenience part, if I truly cared about
sound quality I would maintain my LP collection.

	We be thankful for the one-hour photo lab which will keep the convenience
level of film high enough to counteract the digital camera. We should thank
the entire computer industry for keeping the convenience level of the
computer low enough to keep digital imaging possible but not convenient for
the masses. This will likely change at some point.

	Does anyone have a rough idea of how many grains of silver there are in a
typical modern 100 ASA 35mm B&W negative? Or alternatively given the MTF of
such a negative, optimally developed, how many CCD pixels would be needed to
achieve a similar MTF?

Jonathan Borden