Subject: Film days numbered? was RE: [Leica] How to manage..
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 09:31:21 -0400

> Okay, I can't help throwing in my particular piece of heresy.
>
> Perhaps because I live here in Silicon Valley, and though I cringe as
> I type it, I have to point out that the days of film are numbered.
>
> Without any data to back it up, I'll just say that the days of brisk
> 35mm camera sales are over. Their heyday was surely in the 60s and 70s.

	I disagree, and I have done alot of serious digital imaging. For example,
my wife loves double 4x6 prints. Color print film is dirt cheap, you take it
to a one hour lab while you shop or walk around. You get back the prints,
you flip through them and mail your friends and family the extras, you put
the ones that you like in a photo album. It can't get any easier than this.
No mouse, no photoshop, no printer, no manipulations, no e-mail. My Sony
Mavica has been sitting on my desk for months, expensive experiment,
pictures s**k. I do use my Canon Elura (Digital Video recorder), pictures
blow away analog videorecorder's. The point is ease of use, quality and
permanence.

	For me, I will continue to use silver film until the quality of digital
surpases it, and then I'll just add a digital back onto my camera and lens
investment. Kodak and Intel are reported to be developing a 35mm digital
film cannister which would plug into 'any' 35mm camera.

	So against conventional wisdom, I'm buying 35mm.

Jonathan Borden