Subject: [Leica] Reply to Marc's question
From: Bill Erfurth <m6rf@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 00:28:53 -0700 (PDT)

From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Subject: Re: [Leica] Open letter to Erwin (How to
manage a
camera company)

At 04:16 PM 10/10/1999 -0700, Bill Erfurth wrote:

>Erwin, let's take these things one at a time.
>
>Sales:  R8 sales and to a lesser degree R lenses are
>in the dumper. Leica has big money tied up in dead
>inventory. That point is not argueable.  M6TTL sales
>are far less then they had projected.(Do you wish to
>argue with that?)

Bill

Erwin is clearly correct:  you seem to be in
possession of
knowledge
concerning inventory and sales which is denied to even
the
stockholders in
Leica.

Could I ask you to post your sources of information
for
these statements
you make so firmly?  And could we have some raw data
back up these
allegations?

Marc
- - - -  - - - - - -

Hello Marc,

I am facinated by the unique marketing challange the
situation at Leica presents.  As such, I seek out
information on Leica.  I don't think that I have much
more information than is available to the average
Leica dealer and/or someone that reads the European
Business and Financial news (both print & electronic).

Let me make a couple things clear.  I DO NOT think
that Herr Cohn should be replaced he has done a fine
job.  I DO NOT believe that the M6 should be dropped
from the line or replaced by an M7. I DO think the
need to "jump start" Leica's sales, marketing, and new
product development IS CRITICAL.

If you are really interested in what is happening to
Leica, I would suggest reading Tom Abrahamsson's post
on "How to Manage a camera company".  He has very good
insight into the situation.

I would love to continue this discussion, but I have
to sign off of the LUG tomorrow because I will be in
Europe for the next few weeks...unless I get an E-mail
from Herr Cohn, then I will be there longer.

Kind regards,

Bill Erfurth
m6rf@yahoo.com