Subject: Re: [Leica] Hexar RF/M7
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 18:06:55 +0200

From: A.H.SCHMIDT <horsts@primus.com.au>
Sent: Saturday, October 09, 1999 17:19

> The high quality, I think, part of the problem with Leica.
> Leica makes cameras, which don't need to be replaced.

True, and that is a potential problem.  However, it only sells 20,000 cameras a
year, so conceivably it could continue to sell new cameras to new Leica users
indefinitely without running out of customers any time soon.

It is not necessary to increase the number of Leicas sold; it is only necessary
to make sure that it sells the ones it makes now at a profit.  No law says that
a company has to constantly grow bigger and bigger.  A company can stay health
with a small niche market indefinitely.  However, it needs to avoid _losing_
money on its business.

Leica has to be extremely careful about making any changes.  If it loses any
part of its distinctiveness (quality reputation, cult aura, distinctive manual
operation, lens quality, etc.), it will have _nothing_ to distinguish it from
the big boys, and it will be steamrollered out of existence in a few years.  It
would be suicide to attempt to compete with Nikon and Canon on their own turf.
The company has to stake out its own turf.

One possibility, which I don't see mentioned, is that Leica could build lenses
for other bodies, such as Nikon and Canon.  In this way they could sell lots of
quality glass.  Yes, this would eat into M6 sales to some extent, but it could
also _subsidize_ M6 manufacturing, making it possible to continue selling the
rangefinder cameras (even at a slight loss) for the foreseeable future without
fear or problems.  There will always be people who will want an M series camera.

> This leaves the ones who need maybe a second or third. body,
> or the newcomers.

Leicas are pretty rare cameras.  There is a lot of potential for newcomers.
However, I don't think the answer is to build different, newer cameras (because
of the steamroller risk cited above); I think the answer is to make photographer
s more aware of the existing M line and its advantages.  It has many _inherent_
advantages exactly as it is.  Making it look more like other cameras will only
erode sales; marketing it without change as an alternative or supplement to SLRs
is much more viable, in my opinion.

And newcomers do buy Leicas--I'm one of them.  After many years, I finally had
to find out for myself what a Leica was like, and I'm now very happy that I made
the decision.  There are many, many other people who could also be converted in
this way, with proper public relations and marketing.

> What Leitz really needs, one one hand a beginners model, with
> a good lens for a reasonable price, and a lower cost body, but
> reliable.

I disagree.  There are already dozens of cameras like that--Leica will just be
washed away if it tries to compete in that market.

In today's affluent economy, there are lots of people who can afford the current
Leica M line.  You just have to expose them to Leica quality and advantages, and
they'll buy.  If you build it (or rather if you market it), they will come!

> On they other hand, a body with all bells and whistles is also
> needed.

Absolutely not!  Anyone who wants all the bells and whistles can get it from
Nikon or Canon, and for a lot less!

> But with the Leica reliability and most important the Leica feel.

Building equipment with all the bells and whistles and the same reliability as
an M6 is a major undertaking, which Leica cannot afford.  Even Canon and Nikon
cannot afford it, so they compromise.

> I don't believe, that the japanese are really interested of
> bringing out a camera with the reliability of the Leica. It
> costs to much.

True.  So Leica should continue to build one.  Trying to come up with something
new is beyond Leica's budget.  This rules out new camera lines.

A better solution would be to more aggressively promote the existing M line.
There is _nothing wrong_ with the M line.  It does everything you need: it has a
shutter, an aperture adjustment, focus adjustment, and a nice lens.  That's all
you need to take pictures, no matter what anybody says.

  -- Anthony