Subject: Re: [Leica] Hexar RF/M7
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 01:19:59 +1000

TEAShea@aol.com wrote:

Snip

> To me the quality issue is critical.  In order to be attractive, the new body
> must be very high quality.  I have not interest in anything less.
>
> Tom Shea

  Tom, if you really serious about a quality body, then, I am sure you will stay
with Leica.

The high quality, I think, part of the problem with Leica. Leica makes cameras,
which don't need to be replaced. 2 reasons: 1st, because thousands of camera
users have M2's,
M3's, M4's and M5's which are still working as good as the day they where bought.

2nd, because there is really no technical reason to go to an M6, except the build
in meter.
This may be enaugh  incentive for some, to invest in an M6, but it is not strong
enough for the majority
of users to do so. This leaves the ones who need maybe a second or third. body,
or the newcomers. Leica doesn't have anything so much more modern and
outstanding, that
every existing Leica user wants to buy the latest model.
Poor Leica. They are caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. People buy
Leica because of the high quality and people don't need to buy Leica because of
the high quality. With the existing M system, there is really no obsolescence.

In the earlier Screw mount days, Leitz even catered for the not so wealthy
photographer,
by having 3 ore more different models with 3 or more price levels. They had
cameras without the slow speeds. (many people never use them). Then they had
models without coupled range finders. The cheapest. However they also had one
relatively inexpensive lens, which was never the less of an extremely high
standard. The 50mm Elmar f3.5.
This lens was used by professionals, amateurs and snap shooters alike. It was
actually a better performer then its bigger and more expensive brothers, until
the advent of the Summitar
Everyone could make pictures of the highest quality with bodies of different
price categories, but all of the same reliability.
This is not available today. there is only one model. The M6 and the cheapest
lens is the Summicron 50mm f2. This however is not a cheap lens. For the price of
a Summicron only, you can go and buy the latest Pentax SLR with loom lens and
enough electronics to make a pilot of a747 jealous.

What Leitz really needs, one one hand a beginners model, with a good lens for a
reasonable price, and a lower cost body, but reliable. On they other hand, a body
with all bells and whistles is also needed. But with the Leica reliability and
most important the Leica feel.

I don't believe, that the japanese are really interested of bringing out a camera
with the reliability of the Leica. It costs to much. Don't forget: You get only
what you pay for.
If the Japanese are really serious to go in to the range finder market, then they
want to keep on selling cameras and not have people using 40 year old cameras
just because they are as good as when they where bought.
The Japs will have plenty of plastic parts and plenty of wear inbuilt. I would
say, they have a life span of 5 years if used constantly. After this time it wont
be economical to service this cameras anymore.The Pentax Spotmatic days are gone.

In addition to the above said, I can not see the Japanese screw mount cameras
already released to make such a big impact. Its either Leica bayonet or nothing.

My thoughts only.

Regards, Horst Schmidt