Subject: Re: [Leica]Decisions, Decisions
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 12:35:52 -0700

Paul Klingaman wrote:

> Well, it's upgrade time, and now I'm faced with a tough decision.  Currently
> I've got a 23C enlarger with an Aristo cold light.  I've been looking at V35
> enlargers, and dig the idea of auto-focus on an enlarger.  However, I love
> that cold light.  So, I was thinking an alternative would be the VC head
> made by Aristo to fit my 23C.  They are both in the same price range.
> Anyone feel like discussing the merits of each setup?  Is there any way the
> V35 can be fitted with a cold light of some sort?  If I went for the V35,
> I'd get the vario-contrast module, considering the only color work I do is
> slides, and primarily use VC fiber paper.  Regardless, I'll keep the 23C
> around to print medium format on occasion.  There is not much info. about
> the V35 and its available light sources on the net, so I'd appreciate
> anything you all could contribute.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul Klingaman

As much as I'd love having a Leica enlarger my VC Aristo head means more to me.
It's on a D2 Omega now but if it were on a Beseler with a negative stage leveler
it wouldn't bother me or a Durst would be quite exotic and wouldn't bother me a
bit. But the V35 is 35 only and wont take to Aristo so it's a moot point. I also
do 33% of my work in Medium Format and a 35 only enlarger doesn't click with me.
I can't envision another system than the split printing I'm doing with the
Aristo winning over my heart!
Mark Rabiner