Subject: Re: [Leica]Decisions, Decisions
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 20:12:30 +0000

Why only auto focus?

For $ 1000 you can get a Heiland Splitgrade module for the V35 (and for
some Dunco, Jobo, DeVere enlargers too) that will expose the paper with
first yellow and then magenta light which is said to give you additional
manipulating possibilities. But that is only half the story. The module has
a sensor that will suggest the exposure time and the filter grade to use
for the negative in the enlarger, and it will not only expose for the
suggested time (or the time as amended by you), it will also  automatically
expose at the contrast grade suggested (or amended by you)  on VC paper  by
sending more or less of the yellow and the magenta light respectively. It
does one-tenth grade contrast adjustments. It has data for 12 different
papers at various contrast grades in its memory.

I only came across this information yesterday in Monochrome's new catalogue
for the year 2000, and I have no personal experience. Anyway, Heiland is a
highly reputable Geman manufacturer of densiometes with a non plus ultra
reputation. Wilhelm Heiland has written books on densiometry, grey scales,
zone systems and designed software for documenting and calculating
gradation and exposure using a PC. They are serious people. I think they
have a website, but I do not have the address, nor do I know their postal
address.