Subject: [Leica] Enlarger automatics (was Decisions, Decisions)
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 09:21:30 +0000

>At 08:12 PM 10/6/99 +0000, Christer Almqvist wrote:
>>Why only auto focus?
>>
>>For $ 1000 you can get a Heiland Splitgrade module for the V35
>
>Sounds like the equivalent of auto exposure on a camera. Average reading
>gives average result. On top of that, the Variocontrast module gives one
>continuous variation of grade. One thing I learned early on about black and
>white printing. There isn't a meter in the world that can tell the paper
>what you have in mind.

Can you tell the perfect grade (for you!) - the first time round?

I can't unless I have made several similar enlargement during the same
session, then the last ones are pretty easy :-)   Otherwise I use a meter
to to give me a rough idea of the grade and then I make a 4by6 inch test
before I decide what grade to use for the final print. But as you say,
average readings give average results. I do not know if the Heiland takes
average readings or if you have to decide where the measurements are taken
(like using a spot meter rather than auto exposure). Has anybody hands on
experience with the Heiland Splitgrade?

- --
christer almqvist
eichenstrasse 57, d-20255 hamburg, fon +49-40-407111 fax +49-40-4908440
14 rue de la hauteur, f-50590 regnéville-sur-mer, fon+fax +33-233 45 35 58