Subject: Re: [Leica] Web sites for info on R lenses
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 22:17:43 -0500

At 08:39 PM 10/5/99 -0400, Doug Herr wrote:
>You won't lose much if any optical quality by choosing older R-lenses but
>you may lose some conveniences found on the latest equipment

Though there are exceptions to this, I think this is too general a
statement. There are significant improvements with more modern lenses
optically. The old lenses were great, but the newer ones, well, they're
just superb.

Example, of all the 35mm R lenses, the 35 Summilux  (1984) is better. And
the new 19 is significantly better. The 180s are different. They're all
great, but the newest one is greatest. And zooms, there's no comparison.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Photographs that transcend but do not deny their literal situation appeal
to me. -Sam Abell; "Stay This Moment"