Subject: [Leica] Web sites for info on R lenses
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 20:39:22 -0400

Mike wrote:

However, there is not much on the Web (aside from the
LUG) about using the Leicaflex and two-cam lenses.   I'd really appreciate
listing of some sites which comment about older R lens performance and
general user info?  Of course, individual LUGger comments on this subject
are
welcome and appreciated.
<<<

Mike,

This is the best source of Leicaflex info anywhere on earth.  In general:
There are no crummy R-lenses, and newer R-lenses are even better.

I'm using the first version of the 135mm Elmarit-R and an old 90mm
Summicron-R.  These were both originally 2-cam lenses that I've had
converted to 3-cam; I'm delighted with both of them.  The optical
performance of your 90mm Elmarit-R is outstanding by any measure, and the
old 50mm Summicron-R is supposed to be more succeptible to flare than the
latest but otherwise is no slouch.  (I have extremely limited experience
with the 35mm Elmarit-R.)

IMHO the difference in optical performance between old R-lenses and the
current ones of the same focal length and aperture is small and the most
significant differences are mechanical.  There are exceptions to this
generalization like the 50mm Summilux-R (the new one blows EVERYTHING ELSE
away), and an APO lens will always outperform a non-APO lens.  Mechanical
differences would include tripod sockets (rotating or not), minimum focus
distance, filter size, lens hood (built-in or clip-on) and size & weight.

You won't lose much if any optical quality by choosing older R-lenses but
you may lose some conveniences found on the latest equipment.  There are
also some lenses that protrude deeper into the mirror chamber than the
Leicaflex allows and these won't fit on the camera (the new 50mm
Summilux-R, for example).

Doug Herr
Sacramento