From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 21:13:26 -0400

Dr. Blacktape wrote:

If everyone would simply add an "M" or "R" to message headers, those who
are
afraid that reading an "R" or "M" post will cause them to go blind, stupid,
or both, can delete the posts they don't want, while the remaining LUGers
can continue on as before.
<<<

A reasonable suggestion provided that

1) message subjects are always appropriate
2) LUGgers can control their need to have the last word
3) Off-topic threads are taken private

Lately I've been spending more time deleting messages, unread, than I have
making pictures.  R is all I use.  M and LTM are fascinating too but it's
becoming too much work to sort through the tirades, flame wars, off-topic
subjects and endless posts from those who need to have the last word in
order to find the kernals of knowledge I can use or the cries for help that
I can answer.  The R-only list appeals to me *because* there would be fewer
people subscribed, and, I assume, less than 100 messages daily.

My $.02 worth-

Doug Herr
Sacramento