Subject: [Leica] Elmarit R35 user report
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 01:23:18 GMT

With the great start below I thought I would put my 2-cents in on the
performance of the 35 Elmarit R.  All comments below regard the FIRST
version.

Let me begin by saying I am sure as hell no Erwin Puts, so if you are
looking for scientific method you should move on :)

I have owned an Elmarit 35 for the last 3 months.  I purchased it for 270
usd in EXC++ condition including the metal hood and the series uv filter.
Since 50mm is my primary working focal length I was willing to give up a
stop or two in speed if the quality of the lens held up.

So far I have not been disappointed.

At full aperture the lens shows little noticeable light falloff.  Edges of
the frame are noticeably lower in contrast and resolution. (I believe it is
called "overcorrected spherical aberration" but don't quote me).  At any
rate bright spots tend to "radiate" when they are outside of the central
circle of the frame.

By F4.0 quality is greatly improved, though still not up to the center.

At f5.6 quality is even across the frame, with med to high contrast and
excellent resolution.  (A 20x enlargement of a sky scraper showed equal
resolution to my non ASPH Summicron 35M.)

From 5.6 through f11 the lens is capable of rendering texture reasonably
well, though not up to the SummicronM.

For some reason I have found the quality of the Elmarit at F11 and smaller
to be better than my Summicron M?!?

Color rendition is different from my Summicron R 50 (latest version) and
there is a very small amount of lateral color, though MUCH less than with
many modern 35's from Nikon, not to mention zooms.

In comparison to the older Nikon 35 f2.8 this lens is noticeably better at
f2.8-5.6, with better freedom from flare

In my opinion this lens is a great bargain in the Leica R line.  The vast
majority of users will find it an excellent alternative to faster and more
expensive Leica 35's.

Remember, this review is of the FIRST version of this lens, and I would
suspect the later to be of higher quality, particularly at full aperture.

I hope this is useful to LUG participants.

Best Wishes
Dan States