Subject: Re: [Leica] Travel Photography Made Easy
From: "James R. Nelon" <jnelon@netvigator.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 00:22:07 +0800

Words to the wise:

Your experiences parallel the ones I experience virtually anywhere in
Asia, namely Singapore, Hong Kong, PRC, Korea, India, Philippines,
Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia and Taiwan. All these countries' banks'
ATMs appear to add charges similar to what you have experienced in
Europe. I don't think that I belong to the wrong bank; instead I think
that the ATM networks for cash withdrawals here in Asia simply and
automatically charge as much as they can to as many foreign cards as
they can get away with. And I think they do it because, by the time you
get the bill, you're back home in the US or Europe and trying to get
refunds for a few bucks are more of a hassle than it may be worth, even
if you make a local phone call to your local credit card company. As I
said before, your mileage may vary. But this stuff is happening, so if
you come to Asia, read your credit card/debit card agreement before
withdrawing anything.

Jim