Subject: [Leica] 280mm F2.8 APO-TELYT-R
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 15:49:10 -0500

>However, inside the aluminium case there is a Leitz box containing what
>looks like two 112mm fibre washers. What are they for? I did wonder whether
>they are for filter gels cut to size and mounted between the lens and the
>NDx1 filter that protects the front element?

As I understand it, it's to stick a gel filter on the front of the lens.
Those crazy guys in Germany, what were they thinking?

>Also, there are two lugs on the lens body above the aperture ring. I guess
>they are for some kind of strap. If so, is it worth trying to track one
>down? So far, I've only used the lens with a monopod.
>N.B. the case also contained a handgrip that I don't think I would use. This
>beast is too cumbersome to be handheld IMHO.

Yes, it's for a strap. If you use it at all away from the tripod, you
really need to use these. Don't let the lens hand off your camera! :-) It
is a wonderful hand-held lens. Did you get the rubber thing that screws
into the tripod mount on the lens? Makes it very hand-holdable, and quite
comfortable.

>By the way, I nearly bought an R8 body instead but I couldn't get used to
>the overall size and shape. The R7 seemed the way to go and still included
>the passport. Essentially, I'm an M user and the R8 was just too big.

It might actually help you balance the 280 2.8 better because of the size
and weight. Regardless, enjoy this lens, it's awesome. And you miss out a
lot not hand-holding it. I almost always shot it at football games
hand-held. But then I have a strong neck and shoulder. :-)

I wish I could have bought the one on the list last week. Just didn't get a
chance to bid on it last week because of potential employers dragging their
feet. :-P

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Go around the barn at high noon to avoid colloquialisms.