Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon Coolscan is fine!
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 23:36:03 +0200

From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 1999 15:28

> I bought the first model Nikon scanner as soon as
> it came out and upgraded to the LS-2000 when it came out.
> I've had three computers during that time, but the Nikon
> scanners just keep on working.

Perhaps you are in the lucky minority.  I've heard nothing but bad news about
these scanners, and my own experiences have not been reassuring, what with my
LS-30 making funny noises and sometimes producing weird scans, and my LS-2000 in
the shop since I got it.

The obvious question is why I bought them at all.  Well, when and if they work,
they produce better scans than anything else I've seen of comparable price.
That is, if you're lucky enough to have one that works.

> With the Nikons scanner and Epson printer, I hardly ever use
> my chemical darkroom.

Same here.  Actually, I don't even print anymore.  I don't need prints for
myself, and everyone I might give prints to has a computer, so I just e-mail
scans appropriately formatted for the person to whom I'm sending them.

> I hope yours will be as reliable when you get it back!

So do I.  I'll have $3000 invested in it, and still no usable scans.

  -- Anthony