Subject: RE: [Leica] LEICA STORIES
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 12:32:43 +0100

I don't know if I've told this one before, but here goes:

I had arranged to go on a short trip to Wetzlar/Solms with some
Leica-totin' buddies from Britain and chose to cycle there with a friend
(air flights between Manchester and Frankfurt). It was an early start so he
arrived the previous day whereupon we chatted photography into the evening,
with me showing him the newish Leica I was taking. Of course, I too, had
spent some fair time considering what was best to take on such a trip as
this, several lenses, loads of film and this particular body.
We departed in the morning and after checking in at the airport I reached
for my camera to take a shot of us about to hand over our  bikes into the
cargo.
Imagine my dismay as I realised that the camera was still at home after the
previous evening's conversation....
I had some lenses and film but no camera. My frined decided I couldn't
travel without a camera and so persuaded me to buy one at the Duty Free
shop. I chose the cheapest 35mm camera I could find (a Fuji Clearshot,
renamed 'Cheapshot'!) and rubber cemented a Leica logo, cut from a Wetzlar
tourist map, over the Fuji insignia!
It was like using a box camera again, no focus, no shutter speed dial, no
aperture, but it had a cute little flash that I experimented with! It was
amazing what I was able to do with that. You have to consider how the
pictures will come out, where you can actually expect there to be enough
light for the camera to produce a decent image etc., but the overall
freedom to be found in forgetting so many of the decisions involved in
making the picture were liberating! Just like when you know your camera
inside out and can read light levels without needing a meter, if only I
still had that ability... I need to practise more.

On meeting up with the other Leica colleagues at the factory, they asked
about the plastic 'Leica' I was carrying and I managed to persuade a few of
them that it was the product of the R&D department loaned to me after my
heartbraking story!

Fun and games...

Jem