Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Got my 24mm today!
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 16:16:12 EDT

In a message dated 9/29/99 1:04:07 PM, pieter@world.std.com writes:

>My advice would be just to forget about the the "protective UV filters"
>and get a front cap for the lens shade (Leica part 14041).  >>

That's a good suggestion. I didn't realize they offered such an item. Reminds
me of the caps for the Nikon lens hoods (what? you mean you don't know about
Tupperware 16oz. tumbler lids?)

<<B&W filters tend to be very deep and probably won't fit inside the hood.
>To make it fit, you could grind off some of the filter's front thread.>>

It doesn't appear to be the thickness from front to back that's the problem
but the outside diameter. The hood appears to have plenty of room to
accomodate a thick filter, just not a very wide one (it's probably designed
around a Leica filter).

Bob (I can't believe I -- of all people -- am defending UV filters) McEowen