Subject: Re: RE: [Leica] Zone blues
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:12:15 EDT

I worked at camera stores for about four years in the early 80s (O.J. Photo
Supply & St. Louis Photo Supply in St. Louis and Wagner Photo in Columbia --
two of which are now closed and one is a shadow of its former self). In those
days camera stores were marvelous places with drawers full of quirky old
hardware and sales people who really knew what they were talking about. Two
of the stores I worked for stocked Leica, Hasselbad, Sinar, pro-line Polaroid
stuff, studio lighting equipment, darkroom equipment, etc. Today (at least
around here anyway), camera stores are now audio/video/computer centers with
just a small camera counter (and NOTHING exotic), the store clerks I've
encountered are just a step above Walmart-level expertise and all the drawers
of funky old stuff is gone. It really is a shame. Photography is all but
extinct as a hobby. Face it, "shutterbugs" are dinosaurs.

As for Eric's idea about stores that teach photography and rent darkrooms, I
have in the back of my mind a retirement business that is part freelance
photojournalist, part black and white lab and part rental darkrooms offering
basic photography classes. It probably won't make any money but I'll have fun
and by the time I retire I'll be really "quaint."