Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Got my 24mm today!
From: Chandos Brown <cmbrow@wm.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 17:02:27 -0400

UV filters on every lens I own.&nbsp; I have to dispose of two--badly
scratched or dented--after accidents that would have damaged the lenses,
probably beyond reasonable repair.<br>
My older-model Summiluxes and Noctilux will not accept lens caps over the
hoods (the old bayonet style in the case of the 50/1 and the
75/1.4).&nbsp; The crash that damaged the hood (125604?) of the 35/1.4
also took out the filter--in this case the destruction of *both* served
to save the lens itself.<br>
Life ain't combat photography, I know, but I carry one camera or another
with me every single day.&nbsp; I'm a careful, experienced, user of
Leicas, and I'm constantly cleaning stuff off the filters (spray, sweat,
pollen, you name it).&nbsp; I shoot 75% of my Leica images on the edge of
available light.&nbsp; I *have* shot the same scenes with filter on and
filter off.&nbsp; My experience tells me this--if you're able to employ a
tripod, then it's probably a good idea to remove the filter.&nbsp; For
everything else, the image is far more degraded by camera shake at slow
speeds than by any piece of quality glass you might hang in front of the
lens. (I use only Leica and B&amp;W).<br>
We're individually the best judges of our own gear and its use--this
isn't a resolvable issue once we take the lens off the optical bench,
which is how I often interpret Erwin's lens evaluations.<br>
Why not move on to something simple like, say, the most effective
techniques to produce cold fusion at home?<br>
Chandos<br>
At 04:16 PM 09/29/1999 -0400, you wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;In a message dated 9/29/99 1:04:07 PM, pieter@world.std.com
writes:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;My advice would be just to forget about the the &quot;protective
UV filters&quot;<br>
&gt;&gt;and get a front cap for the lens shade (Leica part 14041).&nbsp;
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>