Subject: Re: [Leica] "Isn't that lens on the GR1 just GREAT?"
From: chefurka@sympatico.ca (Paul Chefurka)
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 05:37:52 GMT

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 22:03:41 -0700, Godfrey DiGiorgi
<ramarren@bayarea.net> wrote:

>I dunno, Paul. I have had no problems with flare, the finder on mine is
>pretty nice (not as nice as a Rollei 35 or Leica CL but not bad at all),
>and it returns some darn nice pictures, see
>  <http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/GR1pix/clouds.html>
>
>It doesn't replace a Leica M or CL, but then it's a lot easier to carry
>in a shirt pocket than either (or a T4 Super) and a lot easier on the
>bank account. If you never use it anymore, you should sell it. There is
>quite a market for Ricoh GR1s in mint condition since Ricoh pulled out of
>the US market.
>
>Godfrey
> cameras don't have pretensions, people do

I have gotten some nice shots with it, but I like shooting contrejour
a fair bit, and in this situation I find it washes out terribly.  The
reason I don't like the finder is that the frame lines and all other
markings in it vanish in bright light (I didn't think I'd hate this as
much as I do).  Plus I hate the shutter's focus lag.

Don't get me wrong - there are lots of things I like about this
camera:  the infinity lock, the f-stop dial, the flash controls, the
lovely magnesium body - it's just that it can't do the kind of stuff I
want it to, and once you've shot with a 35 Summicron ASPH that little
GR lens just doesn't look so hot anymore.

I will be selling it to help defray the cost of the new 90.  Now that
I've slagged it off, any takers???

Paul Chefurka

BTW, I checked out your pics - very nice indeed.