Subject: Re: [Leica] "Isn't that lens on the GR1 just GREAT?"
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 21:32:22 -0700

>ps- one more thing: Before anyone starts the annoying "Isn't that
>lens on the GR1 just GREAT?" thread, I'd point out that although
>it's very respectable closed down to f/4-f/8, at f/2.8 (wide
>open) it doesn't have a lot of contrast. My old Pentax K mount 28
>was better. I suspect that the 28 Elmarit-M would blow it out of
>the sky. Erwin?

Alexey,

I believe that Erwin did test the Ricoh 28/2.8 lens in LTM and it did
quite respectably against the Elmarit-M 28/2.8 of a generation or two
back. It wasn't quite up to the current model Elmarit-M 28. It certainly
impresses me with its resolution and contrast, even wide open, for a lens
which costs, with its attached camera, about 1/3 of what the Elmarit-M
does.

There are differences between individual examples, though, so maybe you
just don't have a particularly good one.

Take a look at
<http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/m/tests/japanese28.html>.

Godfrey