Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Kodak C-41 Tri-X
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 22:00:33 -0700

The subject of this thread is very peculiar. There is no such thing as a
"C-41 Tri-X". I must have missed something at the beginning ... what does
it mean?

I've been using Ilford's XP2 film for many years (since it first came
available, and it's predecessor XP1 as well) and started using Kodak's
T400CN film just after it came out. These are excellent B&W films: I
don't know why anyone would say differently. They are not the same as
TMax 400 or Delta PRO 400, they have different characteristics, but they
create beautiful negatives which print extraordinarily well when they're
used appropriately.

XP2 (and the new generation XP2 Super) is a very smooth-grained film with
tremendous exposure toe. It's rated speed is 400, but I've shot it with
everything from EI 200 to EI 1600 and obtained satisfying negatives. By
overexposing it up to a stop, you can flatten the contrast curve a bit
and make the grain almost invisible. Underexposing it will render a thin
negative that you must print on high contrast paper with a grainier
appearance, but it retains a remarkable amount of detail even into pretty
deep shadow values. The key thing about XP2 and XP2 Super is that they
tolerate a tremendous amount of overexposure in the highlights without
blocking up so you can concentrate on getting adequate exposure for your
important shadow values and let the highs fall where they may, then
adjust the tonal curve in printing (or electronically).

Ilford does not put the standard color negative "crossover mask" (that
orange base color) into the XP2 films so they are somewhat problematic to
print on color paper -- that's the reason for your "sepia tone", an
improper printing filtration setup. A good photofinishing lab can get a
setup that works reasonably well on color paper, but these films are
designed to be printed to best effect on B&W papers.

Kodak's T400CN film shares many of the characteristics of XP2 but Kodak's
focus in its development is somewhat different. T400CN has a shorter toe
(more contrasty) and evidences a bit more grain, particularly on
overexposure. It will block up the highs when overexposed by 1 stop, but
will hold detail in the midrange better when underexposed. Exposed on its
nominal EI 400 or up to 1 stop under, it returns extremely high quality
results.

Kodak designed T400CN to be easily printed at 1-hour photofinishing labs
on color materials. To effect this they included a light crossover mask
and include calibration setup information for color labs to work from so
you usually get snappy, mostly neutral black prints from it rather than
sepia or violet with such processing. Due to the orange mask, it is often
a bit more difficult to print it on B&W materials: the crossover mask
tends to reduce the contrast on orthrochromatic B&W papers so you end up
going with harder grades to get the same snappy results.

Printed to their best advantage, both these films produce long tonal
scale, high acutance images with very smooth grain and beautiful
transitions in tonality. They're really amongst my favorite films for
portraiture. XP2 in particular is great for taming contrasty lighting
situations.

Both films also scan extremely well. They take somewhat different gamma,
contrast and bias settings to get the most out of; the film scanner
doesn't care and is happy to make the adjustments. The orange mask in
T400CN is totally invisible to a film scanner, the lack of it in XP2 is
equally invisible.

I have several photographs on my website made with these films. None of
the webpage image versions do the printer-prepared versions justice - I
downsample and re-adjust pictures for my web pages to give as good a view
as possible consistent with a reasonable download time, but they can be
used as examples.

<http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/AlfaRomeos/78spiderMar98/springspider.htm
l>
  These two photos were made with XP2 using Minox 35GT-E camera. The
print versions retain tremendous shadow detail in the shadows of the
undercarriage, the highs and middle tones are very close to what's on the
web page. They're more snapshots than anything else, but the ability of
the film to hold detail across a tremendous lighting range is what
impresses me.

<http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/portfolio1/SF-night.html>
  The photo was taken with a Leica Minizoom, hand-held for ~2 seconds, on
XP2 rated normally. I scanned, sized and 'hand colored' it in PhotoShop
for printing to a approximate 11x14 print. Obviously, there is quite a
bit of motion blur from the long exposure, but it's a mood picture, not
designed to be razor sharp. The print shows just beautiful tonal scale in
everything, with detail and structure well into the dark regions, and the
streetlamp highs just barely block up (I could actually print them down
for more detail, but I like the effect as I've gotten it).

<http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/zurich-98/um-columns2.html>
<http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/zurich-98/um-columns1.html>
<http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/zurich-98/um-michael.html>
<http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/zurich-98/um-michael-det.jpg>
  These four pictures were taken at the same time using T400CN in a
Rollei 35 Classic. The photofinisher's prints stunned me when I saw
them... they were just beautiful. I scanned these from the negative at
maximum resolution and prepared print files for 266 dpi 16x20 images from
them - they print absolutely superbly. The photograph of Michael is so
razor sharp that included the "-det" full 2700 dpi section ... with the
limited resolution of the 2700 dpi film scanner, you can make out the
"Wetzlar" engraving on the back of the Minox IIIS he's holding. You can
count stitches in his jacket, etc. I was so impressed with how much
detail there was in the scans that I optically enlarged this frame with
my slide projector to 50x75 inches ... you can not only make out the
engraving, you can read it clearly! Truly impressive acutance. And the
tonal scale in the negatives is just about perfect: nothing is burnt, all
the shadow values hold super detail, etc.

<http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/rvl/rvl.html>
  All the photos in this gallery (not the pictures of the cameras ...
those are pirated! :) were taken with XP2 using Rollei 35S and Leica CL
cameras. Scanned at 2700 dpi from the negatives, printed to the maximum
length on an 8.5x11" page from 266dpi print files... As usual, the print
versions are far better than what you see on the website.

Without going into cheerleader mode, I feel that any B&W photographer who
does not try these films is missing out on films which can return superb
results. They are very flexible to use in heavy, contrasty lighting as
well as subtle soft light, with a wide variety of subjects, and have
tremendous exposure latitude as well. Just don't think of them as Tri-X
to be processed in C-41 ... they have very different characteristics.

apologies for the longish post.

Godfrey